Sunday, February 15, 2009

What I Have Learned this Valentine's Day


I have learned a few things about life and myself this Valentine's Day.

First, all holidays are made better with children, even the most "romantic" day of the year. Nate woke up at 5:45 AM and fell back to sleep on me after I changed his diaper. My "littlest" Valentine sure loves his mommy. Nicholas woke up at 6:30 AM and I put Nate back in his crib to sleep. Nick and I went downstairs to the table I had set for his Valentine Day. A simple plastic red tablecloth, Valentine balloon, and Valentine cards and paper plates set the table. Nicholas declared the balloon the best gift of all and proceeded to tell me over and over that "the table was the most beautiful table he ever saw." My "medium" Valentine was made happy with some of the simplest decorations. Finally, my "biggest" Valentine slept in on Valentine morning. And I hope that it was one of the best presents I could give to my husband who works so hard to take care of us.

Second, I am officially all Italian-- I showed my love for Nicholas through every food given to him during the day. The way to a little man's heart is through his stomach.

Breakfast was heart shaped pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes. Don't think I stood over a griddle all morning. I used the frozen pancakes I had made a few weeks ago and cut them into hearts.



Lunch was chocolate and marshmallow sandwiches. If there are two things that Nicholas loves, it is chocolate and marshmallow. It was the easiest lunch I have made in a while, but too bad it isn't healthy because he won't be eating this again for lunch until next Valentine's Day.



Finally, dinner was the best. I made meatballs and spaghetti- Nicholas's favorite. I used a cookie cutter to make the meatballs into hearts and baked them in the oven. He was in heaven.




The last thing I have learned this Valentine's Day is that it doesn't take much to make my family happy. But I will do anything I have to do to show them how much I love them.

No comments: